Halloween Makeup: How to Care for Your Skin Before and After
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- Tips to set your skin up for success
- Tips to renew your skin after the party
Halloween is almost here! You’ve been thinking about this day for months. Collecting and creating pieces of your costume. Planning your elaborate makeup look. You’ve thought about it all and you’re ready!
But I’m guessing there’s one important thing you overlooked. Skincare.
Halloween makeup can be hard on the skin. It’s often not the best quality and when you pair it with a night of alcohol consumption and sugary treats, your skin can look a little frightening the next day.
So, let’s talk about how to keep your skin happy this halloween.
Tips to set your skin up for success
The first step to beautiful skin after Halloween happens before you even apply that makeup.
Start with clean skin
When you’re getting ready to start on your makeup masterpiece, you may be tempted to apply your makeup to an unwashed face. Don’t! The last thing you want to do is trap dirt and sebum under a thick layer of makeup. This can lead to clogged pores and inflammation. Yikes!
I recommend cleansing with our Bamboo Charcoal Sponge and Aloe Milk Cleanser. The Bamboo Charcoal Sponge will gently exfoliate the skin and remove any dead skin cells, leaving your skin soft and smooth. Aloe Milk Cleanser is formulated with ingredients that will help support your skin.
- Aloe vera juice helps to soothe and hydrate.
- Apricot kernel oil is rich in vitamins that nourish the skin.
- Niacinamide helps to reduce inflammation and sebum.
To cleanse your skin, apply a pump of Aloe Milk Cleanser onto a moistened Bamboo Charcoal Sponge. Gently massage the sponge and cleanser over your dampened face and neck area. Rinse your skin with warm water and gently pat with a clean towel to remove excess water. Do not rub your face dry.
Add a boost of hydration
Heavy halloween makeup and face paints can be quite harsh and drying. Help counteract the drying effects by giving your skin an extra boost of hydration. For this, my go to is Face Food Mineral Mist. Not only does Face Food hydrate the skin, the mineral complex also helps to:
- calm the complexion;
- absorb excess oil;
- shield the skin from oxidative stress.
Remember to keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the night!
Prep your skin
Locking in that hydration and moisturizing your skin is essential for keeping it happy. As a base for makeup, I recommend moisturizing with Face Glow because it doubles as a skin primer. Best of all, Face Glow is formulated with ingredients that will nourish your skin all night long.
- Pumpkin seed oil helps to keep the skin hydrated and reduce inflammation.
- Raspberry seed oil helps to combat free radicals and minimize breakouts.
- Aloe vera helps to hydrate and soothe the skin.
Once your skin has a dose of superfoods, you’re ready to make your Halloween makeup dreams a reality! But halloween skincare doesn’t stop there.
Tips to renew your skin after the party
The first rule of skincare is always remove your makeup before bed. This is especially important on Halloween!
Don’t rely on makeup wipes
I know! A full skincare routine is the last thing you want to do when you get home late after a few drinks. You can practically hear those makeup wipes calling your name. But don’t give in! While those easy-peasy wipes appear to do a good job of removing heavy makeup, they don’t actually get all the gunk off your skin.
Trust me when I say skip the wipes.
A thorough cleanse is what your skin needs to properly remove all that halloween makeup. I actually recommend a triple cleanse with our Bamboo Charcoal Sponge, Aloe Milk Cleanser and Face Foam. Here’s how to do it:
Apply a pump or two of Aloe Milk Cleanser to damp skin. Gently massage it all over your face and neck, being sure to get into all the nooks and crannies. This cream cleanser breaks down makeup and impurities. Once all the makeup is loosened, rinse your skin with warm (not hot) water. Next, apply a pump or two of Face Foam onto a moistened Bamboo Charcoal Sponge. Gently rub the sponge and cleanser all over your face and neck. Again, rinse with warm water.
Face Foam is formulated with:
- natural BHA from white willow bark extract to cleanse the skin and smooth the complexion;
- azelaic acid to help reduce inflammation;
- apple cider vinegar to keep the skin pH balanced so that you’re not left with that tight feeling.
Yeah, it takes a little longer than using a wipe, but your skin (and pillowcase) will thank you.
Nourish your skin
After everything that your skin goes through on Halloween, it deserves a little extra TLC.
- Vitamin B5 helps to soothe sensitive skin.
- Vitamin D helps to revitalize the skin’s appearance.
- Vitamin F helps to reinforce the skin barrier.
Next, go in with your favourite moisturizer. I recommend Berry Rich Face + Eye Cream in this case for a few reasons:
- The blue-green algae helps to hydrate the skin
- The vegan probiotics help to strengthen the skin barrier and support the skin microbiome.
- The blueberry seed oil contains powerful antioxidants that help fight damage caused by free-radicals.
The combination of Moon Boost Serum and Berry Rich are the perfect way to support your skin after halloween. And don’t forget! You can speed up the post-party skincare routine by combining Moon Boost Serum and Berry Rich into a Skin Smoothie!
Once your face is clean and nourished, hydrate your body with a glass of water before crawling into bed.
- Before applying your Halloween makeup, cleanse your skin with our Bamboo Charcoal Sponge and Aloe Milk Cleanser to provide a smooth canvas for your makeup.
- Hydrate internally and externally!
- Spritz Face Food Mineral Mist all over your face after cleansing.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after the party!
- Moisturize with Face Glow to nourish your skin and prime it for makeup.
- After the party, skip the makeup wipes and do a thorough triple cleanse with our Bamboo Charcoal Sponge, Aloe Milk Cleanser and Face Foam.
- Mix up a Soothe + Hydrate Skin Smoothie to give your skin everything it needs to look its best in the morning!
The bacteria, viruses, fungi and mites that make up your skin microbiome may sound scary, but they're actually beneficial. Keep reading to learn more!
from Original priceOriginal price$42from $42Current price $42In stock
A hydrating vitamin serum Especially good for thirsty skin, this velvety-smooth, hydrating vitamin serum is formulated with non-comedogenic, nutrie...View full detailsfrom Original priceOriginal price$42from $42Current price $42
from Original price $0Original price $0$39from $39Current price $39In stock
A natural retinol alternative face serum This ultra-lightweight, water-based natural retinol alternative face serum will help to reduce the appeara...View full detailsfrom Original price $0Original price $0$39from $39Current price $39
from Original priceOriginal price$49from $49Current price $49In stock
A tinted moisturizing skin primer This lightweight tinted moisturizing skin primer is a true multitasker. It delivers brightening and highlighting...View full detailsfrom Original priceOriginal price$49from $49Current price $49
from Original priceOriginal pricefrom $35from $35Current price $35In stock
A soothing milk cleanser for sensitive skin This soothing milk cleanser for sensitive skin is formulated with a mélange of aloe vera, black tea an...View full detailsfrom Original priceOriginal pricefrom $35from $35Current price $35
from Original priceOriginal pricefrom $49from $49Current price $49In stock
A probiotic rich face + eye cream This velvety-rich, probiotic face + eye cream helps to reinforce skin barrier function while improving hydration ...View full detailsfrom Original priceOriginal pricefrom $49from $49Current price $49
We've partnered with The Ocean Legacy Foundation (OLF) to reduce ocean plastic. Keep reading to learn what they do, how we're helping and what you can do!Read now
Holiday shopping doesn't have to be stressful! Check out our gift guide to find the perfect presents for everyone on your list.Read now
From ancient China to modern day beauty trend, keep reading to discover why you should add a facial roller to your skincare routine.Read now