My Fave Dirty Chai Recipe
I love chai and I love chocolate, so I on a particularly cold night last weekend I got into a ‘warm-me-up’ mixology mode.
Because it was a Friday evening (and came just after the end of 'dry January'), I decided to treat myself and I added a shot of bourbon and made my bevvy into a hot toddy that temporarily helped lessen the agitation of the computer problems I was having that night, without making me dozy.
What I love about this drink is that it starts out as a fragrant and indulgent creamy chai -- and then right before serving, you sling in a little bourbon, and suddenly it's a very sophisticated adult beverage.
Note that I also make it without the bourbon sometimes and this version is also super delicious!
For the Dirty Cacao Chai:
8 oz (full fat) coconut milk
4 oz water
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and flattened.
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 bags of chai tea
For the Dirty Toddy:
2 oz bourbon
- Whisk coconut milk, water, spices, cocoa and coconut sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add the tea bags and steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags, strain out spices and split chai between two pre-warmed teacups.
- Add one ounce of bourbon to each mug.
Stir, sip + enjoy! Let us know what you think of this dirty cocoa chai recipe.