Looking for a healthy recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth? Look no further!
These black bean brownies are delicious while being full of fibre and omega-3s. Add a bit of homemade whipped coconut cream on top and you've got the perfect treat. Keep reading for the full recipe!
- 1 15-oz. can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 large flax eggs (2 heaping Tbsp (~16 g) flaxseed meal and 6 Tbsp (90 ml) water)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (can substitute with other oils)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 heaping cup organic coconut sugar (slightly ground or pulsed in a food processor or coffee grinder for refined texture)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C).
2. Lightly grease a 12-slot standard size muffin pan (not mini).
3. Rinse and thoroughly drained your black beans.
4. Prepare the flax egg by combining flax and water in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a couple times and then let rest for a few minutes.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and puree for about 3 minutes until smooth, scraping the sides as needed. If the batter appears too thick, add a tablespoon (or two) of water and pulse again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting but nowhere close to runny.
6. Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin and smooth the tops with a spoon. If desired, sprinkle with sunflower seeds, crushed walnuts or crushed pecans.
7. Bake for 20–26 minutes or until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. They will be tender, so remove gently with a fork. The insides are meant to be very fudgy, so don't be concerned if they seem too moist.
9. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Refrigerate to keep longer.
To add some extra decadence to your black bean brownies, add whipped coconut cream topping!
Whipped coconut cream ingredients
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
Whipped coconut cream instructions
1. Refrigerate can of coconut milk for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Place a metal mixing bowl and beaters in the refrigerator or freezer for 1 hour before making the whipped cream.
3. Open the can of coconut milk, taking care not to shake it. Scoop the coconut cream solids into the cold mixing bowl. Reserve the remaining liquid for another use.
4. Using an electric mixer with chilled beaters, beat the coconut cream solids on medium speed then turn to high speed. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add sugar and vanilla extract to coconut cream; beat for 1 more minute. Taste and add more sugar if desired.
This fudgy brownie, topped with a generous dollop of whipped coconut cream, is one of my favourite sweet treats! I absolutely love this recipe and I love that I can indulge, guilt-free! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.
Oh, and serving with a handful of blueberries takes the whole thing up a notch and adds a boost of antioxidants. Can't go wrong!
Pumpkin has so much more to offer than just a tasty latte in autumn. Click here to learn about the superfood benefits of pumpkin and the role it plays in skincare.
Main image by: vaaseenaa