I'm away in Mexico, visiting my longtime friend Rose who's getting married in a few days. She lives in a wonderful city in the mountains called Monterrey.
After a 10k hike into the Chipinque Parque Ecological Reserve, I came back hot, sweaty and dying to wash my jet lagged hair, only to find that I had forgotten my holy grail for clean, smooth, non-frizzy hair (our Hair Smoothie) so I had to compromise!
I figured that when I Rome (ooops, I mean Meh-ic-o) do what the Romans, errr... Mexicans do, so I whipped up this Hair Conditioning Masque with a fresh picked avocado and banana which I had leftover from breakfast.
- Mash equal parts avocado and banana
- Blend in a few tablespoons of coconut milk. Use a blender if you have one so the consistency is more smooth.
- Massage into your scalp and work through your ends.
- Wrap your hair in a towel and let it sit in your hair for 15 minutes (or longer!) if you have the time.
- Wash normally, working the avo-nana mixture into your ends and actively massaging your scalp.
- While still in the shower, gently comb or brush through very thoroughly making sure you've got any lingering pieces of avocado!
- If possible, towel and air dry, giving your hair a break by letting it dry naturally.
- Now bask in the glow of your luscious locks.
- Be less afraid of buying avocados in bulk b'cuz now you've got a way to use them up when they go brown.
A bonus is that avos and bananas work wonders on your hair and face. Doing this can even help soothe sunburns, too.
I highly recommend you try this easy peasy, super effective recipe too, even if you're not on vacation BUT I recommend showering afterward unless walking around smelling like a guacamole smoothie is your thing.