* Written by one of our favourite N.D.'s Jen Newell aka thenaturalskindoctor.com
The holidays can often be a challenge for those dealing with acne because of the prevalence of sugary treats – gingerbread cookies, fruitcake, eggnog, cocktails and candy canes. While it is often not something we blame for breakouts, alcohol is a common trigger for those frustrated by acne…but that doesn’t mean you have to have a dry holiday season.
While alcohol itself is made through the process of distilling sugar, there is no actual sugar left in the spirits once they have been distilled. So as long as no sugar is added after distillation to reach a desired taste or color, drinking spirits straight is the best way to avoid the high sugar intake. Bonus tip – avoiding the sugar will also help to prevent the hangover!
Tips to avoid skin sabotage when indulging over the holidays:
- Drink the same drink all night
- NO shots (too much alcohol too fast)
- Alternate each alcoholic drink with water
- If prone to rosacea and if lots of inflammation/redness in skin, avoid wine
- Choose soda water over sugary tonic water
- Avoid the bar lime (it’s mostly sugar)
- Avoid flavored liquors
- Choose one of the following drinks:
- Vodka soda with lemon twist
- Tequila soda with lime twist
- Dry red wine (Cabernet or Pinot Noir)
- Dry white wine spritzer with soda and lemon
- Bloody Mary or Caesar with low sodium tomato juice
Clear Complexion Kombucha Moscow Mule
- 6 oz ginger kombucha
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 tsp honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- Lime for garnish
- Place ice in a copper mug.
- Combine kombucha, vodka, honey and lime juice and stir
- Pour kombucha/vodka mix over ice
- Drink and enjoy!
Healthy Skin Hot Toddy
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ cup water
- 4 sage leaves, washed
- 1 small meyer lemon
- 1 oz spiced rum
- Add honey, water and sage to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low until the sage in fragrant and the honey is dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Remove and discard the sage leaves and pour syrup into a pre-warmed glass.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze 1-2 tsp of the juice into the glass. Use the rest for garnish.
- Add rum and stir to combine.
- Serve while still warm.