Long before I even dreamed of developing my product line I was living in Santa Monica, having graduated from art school. I was immersed in practicing yoga, running a macro home delivery business, working part-time in the now-famous Real Food Daily restaurant and showing my work in some local galleries.
It was a wonderful time in my life (before moving back to Toronto, getting a 'real' job in the corporate world and having a family). But those days in LA were also challenging. While trying to support myself (with an expired work visa) I chose to live rather simply and make my own stuff (such as skincare) because it was like cooking (which I was good at :) and it saved me money, which was the real bonus!
Here's a recipe I always enjoy because it reminds me of my chai tea latte every morning.
Ingredients: scroll down for their skin nutrition benefits!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 tbs ghee
- ⅛ cup cocoa butter or cacao paste (or even better, cacao paste)
- ½ tsp chai spice
- ½ tsp chai spice
Optional but recommended for a firmer consistency and to heal skin ailments:
- 1 tsp diatomaceous earth
- Warm all of the ingredients on very low heat in a saucepan or double boiler. Stir together with a spoon or whisk.
- Pour into a bowl and let sit until cool completely solidified. For a creamy whipped texture get out your hand beaters and blend on medium speed until the mixture gets fluffy and looks like frosting.
- Spoon into a (clean, dry) mason jar.
Feel free to change it up if you don’t have all of the ingredients, as it is remarkably adaptable. Enjoy and please let me know how you like it. Throughout warm weather months, you might want to keep this in the fridge if you don’t want it to melt.
Skin Nutrition Benefits:
- Coconut oil helps promote healthy, moisturized skin and improves absorption of vitamins, minerals while offering anti-viral and anti-bacterial benefits. I like to get my raw organic coconut oil from a local company in Northern Ontario called St. Francis Herb Farm.
- Not just for eating, ghee is great for your skin. I get mine from Lee’s Ghee.
- Rich in ginger, cinnamon and cardamom, chai spice is lovely, aromatic and great for circulatory function. I get mine from Arvinda’s.
- Cacao paste is my favourite super food because of its rich mineral content and wide array of unique properties. It also contains one of the highest concentrations of antioxidants of any food in the world, and among other great things is exceptionally high in skin loving magnesium, zinc, copper, vitamin C and Omega-6 fatty acids. As above, I get my cacao paste from Chocosol. Use cocao butter if you can’t get cacao paste.
- Diatomaceous Earth is a fine white mineral rich powder that is incredible for your skin. I get mine at The Big Carrot.